There are a lot of tips I could list for losing weight. I’ve detailed a lot of those things in my page on How I lost 100 Pounds. This post is specifically about LUNCH.
Working downtown, there are temptations at every block. From the trendy Food Carts, good restaurants, and delis on every corner–there’s food everywhere.
But I stop myself. The reason? There are actually 5 good reasons. 🙂
1. Control: Packing my own lunch gives me control over exactly how many calories I eat during the day. I pack myself a morning snack (fruit or cottage cheese or Greek yogurt) and on days I run, I pack an afternoon snack to curb my munchies. Having specific food gives me control over the nutrition, the calories, the portion sizes.
2. Cash: How much money do I save by not eating out for lunch? Quite a lot! If a quickie to-go lunch is about $5, that’s $25 a week, $100 a month. If I pack lunch at home, it’s probably half of that cost depending on what I pack.
3. Calories: Portion sizes are humongous at restaurants–usually 2 servings. And who can just eat half a serving of freshly made, hot, greasy Chinese food? I probably can’t! Say I pick up a lunch of fried rice, spring rolls and chicken…that’s looking like about 900 calories in my estimation. My usual packed lunch is around 350 calories–tops.
4. Exercise: As many readers probably already know, I run at lunchtime whenever I can. This was a switch I made over a year ago and I love it! It has freed up so many of my evenings to do fun things I missed out on. When I run at lunch, I have just enough time to run and shower and then grab my pre-made lunch from the fridge. I definitely don’t have time to run, shower AND eat out!
5. Time: Some employers let their employees leave work early if they don’t take take a full hour lunch. Think how much time is saved eating a sandwich at your desk and then leaving work early!
I vary my lunches. Sometimes they are Lean Cuisines with some veggies, sometimes they are salads, sometimes sandwiches, or leftovers. I try to mix it up so I don’t get bored.
QUESTION: Do you eat out for lunch every day or do you pack your lunch? What is a typical lunch for you?