Last night we were going to make dinner but I was craving burritos pretty badly. We ended up at Taco del Mar. I had about 900 calories left for the day and I wanted to make sure I didn’t go too crazy eating out. On the way there, I looked up “Taco del Mar” in my “Myfitnesspal” iphone App. This is the App I use to count my calories and log my exercise. Luckily they have a pretty good selection of fast food.
The Taco del Mar website has some tips on how to watch your calories: http://www.tacodelmar.com/food/calories.html. The tips are great:
- Select the whole wheat 13″ tortilla (300 calories, 4.5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat) instead of the regular 13″ flour tortillas (350 calories, 9 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat) – you’ll get an extra 5 grams of fiber to boot!
- Choose whole beans (90 calories, 0 fat) instead of refried beans (160 calories, 3.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat) or black beans (140 calories, 2 g fat, 0 saturated fat).
- Opt for chicken (170 calories, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat) or pork (170 calories, 8 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat) in your burrito instead of beef (200 calories, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat).
- Cut out the cheese or ask for half the usual amount. We add an ounce of cheese (110 calories, 9 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat) to a super burrito.
- Go for the guacamole! (40 calories, 3.5 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat) or salsa (15 calories, 0 fat) instead of a scoop of sour cream (70 calories, 6 g fat, 4 g saturated fat).
- Squirt on the color and flavor. Green, red or hot habanero sauces (5-10 calories, 0 fat) are lighter choices than white sauce (120 calories, 13 g fat, 2 g saturated fat).
I got the Mondito burrito with black beans, rice, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, lettuce, cabbage, and salsa. I didn’t miss having meat in it. And even though the “Mondito” burritos are supposed to be smaller, it was super filling. I didn’t miss getting a side of chips and salsa either.
The burrito I got was just under 500 calories. I’m happy with that number!
QUESTION: When you go out to eat, do you find it hard to make good choices?